2.6 Raising awareness about youth volunteering opportunities
On this page
The promotion of voluntary work is one of the objectives of the Flemish Support Centre for Volunteer Work (Vlaams Steunpunt Vrijwilligerswerk). Also local authorities play an important role in raising awareness about the existing opportunities for (youth) volunteering and in disseminating information.
- The Week of Volunteers is organized by the Flemish Support Centre for Volunteer Work (Vlaams Steunpunt Vrijwilligerswerk). It is an annual, recurring public appreciation campaign and its main objective is the promotion of voluntary work in Flanders. During this week, extra attention is paid to voluntary work and active volunteers. Each year the Support Centre for Volunteer Work also organizes seminars and workshops during this week. In 2021 these (online) seminars focused on the motivations of volunteers, in 2022 the focus was on dealing with change.
- The website ‘vrijwilligerswerk.be’ promotes voluntary work to potential (young) volunteers. Its main objective is to combine supply and demand of voluntary work. Information is collected a the website, from which various links are made to a number of organizations and informative sites on volunteer work. One can filter searches on volunteer work for young people
- Many municipalities have a municipal one-stop-shop for volunteers, where information can be found concerning (the opportunities for) (youth) voluntary work. 'Het vrijwilligersloket' is often accessible online.
- Promotion is done at local level, in particular by the associations themselves, by means of flyers, posters, etc.
- The organization of courses (training initiatives, workshops) on a specific topic (e.g. EHBO,…) of youth work. The main goal of these courses is to strengthen the competences of (young) volunteers.