On this page
The promotion of voluntary work is one of the objectives of the Flemish Support Centre for Volunteer Work (Vlaams Steunpunt Vrijwilligerswerk). Also local authorities play an important role in raising awareness about the existing opportunities for (youth) volunteering and in disseminating information. Key initiatives
- The Week of Volunteers is organised by the Flemish Support Centre for Volunteer Work (Vlaams Steunpunt Vrijwilligerswerk). It is an annual, recurring public appreciation campaign and its main objective is the promotion of voluntary work in Flanders. During this week, extra attention is paid to voluntary work and active volunteers (approximately 750.000 active volunteers in Flanders in 2017) and a seminar is organised on the topic. In 2016, 103 volunteers were present at the seminar. In 2018 the Support Center organised a seminar for its members on volunteering in relation to socialization ('vermaatschappelijking').
- The website ‘vrijwilligerswerk.be’ promotes voluntary work to potential (young) volunteers. Its main objective is to combine supply and demand of voluntary work. Information is collected at the website, from which various links are made to a number of organisations and informative sites on volunteer work.
- Many municipalities have a one-stop-shop for volunteers, where information can be found concerning (the opportunities for) (youth) voluntary work. 'Het vrijwilligersloket' is often accessible online.
- Promotion is done at local level, in particular by the associations themselves, by means of flyers, posters, etc.
- The organisation of courses (training initiatives, workshops) on a specific topic (e.g. EHBO,…) of youth work. The main goal of these courses is to strengthen the competences of (young) volunteers.