On this page
On this page
Addiction and drugs
An important matter for the German-speaking Community is preventing addictive behaviour. In cooperation with groups such as the Working Group on Addiction Prevention and Dealing with Life's Challenges ("ASL"), the centre for the healthy development of children and young people (Kaleido-DG) and the schools, concepts are being developed and campaigns carried out to counter addictive behaviour and for building resilience especially in adolescents.
Currently priority is given to the legal drugs alcohol and tobacco as a study has shown that in this respect there is a particular need for action in the DG. (Source: Risikoverhalten Jugendlicher: Ergebnisse der Befragung in der Euregio Maas-Rhein 2013 (Risk Behaviour of Young People: results of the survey in the Meuse-Rhine Euregion 2013), lögd (state institute of public health, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany): Scientific Series - Volume 18).
The subject of "drug use" has been incorporated into the youth strategy plan among other things because of the worrying results of an Euroregional study on the addictive behaviour of East Belgian young people. On the subject of "drugs" the following actions are to be taken:
- Organisation of a cross-border day of action on the subject of "Young People and Drugs" for actors from the youth area;
- Expansion of the networking in the DG on the development of new approaches for prevention and awareness-raising on the subject of "drugs" in the DG.
Emotions and self-image
The "Emotions and self-image" focus has been included in the youth strategy plan so that young people learn to accept themselves with all their strengths and weaknesses. It is precisely this state of affairs that is intended to empower them to participate in a community as, to quote the words of the US philosopher John Rawls: self-respect is the most important social primary good. (John Rawls: Theorie der Gerechtigkeit (Theory of Justice), Frankfurt am Main, 1975.)
- Promoting projects on the subject of "Emotions and Self-image" for young people
- Developing region-wide support provision for full-time workers from the youth and social area
- Expanding networking in the DG