1.5 Cross-sectoral approach with other ministries
On this page
On this page
Mechanisms and actors
Youth policy in the Slovak Republic is based on the principle of cooperation among sectors and various stakeholders.
There are two mechanisms:
- Inter-ministerial working group for state policy in the field of youth (coordinated by MESRS) IMGY
- Committee for Children and Youth (coordinated by MLSAF)
Inter-ministerial working group for state policy in the field of youth(hereinafter referred to as IMGY) has been established by the Youth Strategy 2014 – 2020 as a body responsible for coordination and communication among various stakeholders dealing with youth-related themes/issues. Similar government body has existed since 2008.
IMGY meets twice per year, but in period of preparation of strategical documents IMGY meets as needed. One of the agreed procedures is to organise small working groups of IMGY members according to the topics and expertise. IUVENTA - Slovak Youth Institute is the service institution for IMGY meetings.
- consults, proposes and evaluates the objectives and measures related to the national youth policy,
- seeks effective and complex preparation of the measures directed to the Strategy’s implementation and with a view to evaluate fulfilment of these measures,
- assesses and comments the measures for the Strategy’s implementation, which require coordination of partial activities of several entities,
- assesses the accepted proposals and submits its own proposals of the measures for implementation of strategic objectives,
- offers a space for exchange of information concerning fulfilment of the measures within the Strategy’s implementation in individual areas.
IMGY consists of representatives of regional authority offices, governmental institutions, umbrella youth organisation, employers and unions, as follow:
- Ministry of Education, Science, Research and Sport of the Slovak Republic,
- Ministry of Culture of the Slovak Republic,
- Ministry of Interior of the Slovak Republic,
- Ministry of Environment of the Slovak Republic,
- Ministry of Labour, Social Affairs and Family of the Slovak Republic,
- Ministry of Economy of the Slovak Republic,
- Ministry of Transport, Construction and Regional Development of the Slovak Republic,
- Ministry of Health of the Slovak Republic,
- Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development of the Slovak Republic,
- Regional Self-government Officies (8 regions) (Úrady samosprávnych krajov)
- Association of Towns and Communities of Slovakia (Združenie miest a obcí Slovenska),
- Union of Slovak Towns (Únia miest Slovenska),
- Confederation of the Trade Unions of the Slovak Republic (Konfederácia odborových zväzov Slovenskej republiky),
- Association of the Information and Counselling Youth Centres in the Slovak Republic (Združenie informačných a poradenských centier Slovenskej republiky),
- Office of the Government Plenipotentiary for Roma Communities (Úrad splnomocnenca vlády SR pre rómske komunity)
- Youth Council of Slovakia
- Student Council of Higher Education (Študentská rada vysokých škôl),
- Asociácia CVČ SR (Asociácia centier voľného času),
- Association of Regional Youth Councils (Asociácia krajských rád mládeže),
Committee for Children and Youth
The Ministry of Labour, Social Affairs and Family of the Slovak Republic facilitates activities of the Committee for Children and Youth (Výbor pre deti a mládež) being one of the committees of the Governmental Council for Human Rights, National Minorities and Gender Equality (Rada vlády pre ľudské práva, národnostné menšiny a rodovú rovnosť).
It gathers together the representatives of various ministries, local and regional governments, as well as non-governmental non-profit organisations.
This committee elaborates represents the basic instrument for targeted and coordinated actions for implementation of the Convention of the Rights of the Child and its optional protocols at the national level.