On this page
On this page
Ministry of Family and Social Policies and Ministry of Youth and Sports have services in relation to the problems that young people may encounter within the scope of Social Inclusion Policies.
Ministry of Family and Social Policies provides housing services to children-adolescents younger than 18 with the Law No: 5395 which regulates the procedures and principles regarding the protection of children in need of protection or who are pushed to crime and securing their rights and welfare.
Ministry of Youth and Sports, Student Loans and Dormitories Institution carries out dormitory activities throughout the country. Within the scope of social inclusion policies, some of the young people are prioritised:
- Children of martyrs and veterans, Veterans
- Students with 40% or higher disability
- Students whose parents are deceased
- Students who have completed their high school or equivalent education in the orphanages affiliated to the Ministry of Family and Social Policies
- Students who have completed their high school or equivalent education in Darüşşafaka High School
Ministry of Family and Social Policies, local administrations and nongovernmental organisations provide social services to the young people in need of social protection within the scope of social inclusion policies.
In this area, there are services carried out especially by the Ministry of Family and Social Policies. Duties of the Department of Social Rehabilitation Services are listed below:
- To plan, implement and monitor protection, care and rehabilitation services by way of policy-making for children who are pushed to crime / victim of a crime.
- To carry out protection, care and rehabilitation services for unaccompanied refugee children.
- To make policies and provide care and rehabilitation services for children living / working on the streets.
- To determine the procedures and principles of services for organisations which provide rehabilitation services.
- To prepare and revise effective and permanent materials and documents in relation to emergency response methods.
- To open child support centres for care and protection of children who are pushed to crime / victim of a crime, living in the streets under risk and in need of rehabilitation due to substance abuse and reintegrating these children into the family or society; to monitor, evaluate and improve the works of currently operating centres and to prepare and implement plans, programmes and projects to increase the efficiency and yield of the service.
- To plan and monitor the works in relation to reintegrating the stray into their families and the society.
- To plan and implement works in relation to keeping the children, who are living in adverse conditions and environments on the street, off the streets and protecting and rehabilitating these children.
- To determine the social rehabilitation briefings and external trainings for representatives of private and other public organisations and stakeholder organisations and institutions and to create the contents of these trainings.
Ministry of Health, Ministry of Family and Social Policies and Social Security Institution provide healthcare services to the young people who are subject to or under risk of social exclusion within the scope of social inclusion policies. With the legislative regulation in 2013, all children under 18 of the citizens who reside in Turkey are covered by general health insure regardless of whether their parents have social security or whether their parents are legally separated due to death, separation, divorce, conviction or military service. Thus, all individuals under 18 benefit from healthcare services free of charge. If young people between 18 and 25 continue their education, insurance premium of such individuals are paid by the government and they can benefit from healthcare services free of charge.
As an example of a good practice, “Protocol on Medical Screening of Students Residing at the Dormitories of Higher Education Student Loans and Dormitories Institution” is signed between the Ministry of Health and Ministry of Youth and Sports. Within the scope of this protocol, young people have undergone medical screening and also they were briefed about healthy life.
Ministry of Family and Social Policies Directorate General of Social Aids, Ministry of National Education and Ministry of Youth and Sports Directorate General of Higher Education Student Loans and Dormitories provide young people aids such as grants, loans, education, transportation, food and education material.
The low accessibility of educational opportunities for the poor eliminates equal opportunities in education and constitutes the biggest problem in preventing that poverty is passed down from one generation to the next. Education factor is critically significant in making an effective social aid policy and the success in fighting poverty. In that context, Directorate General of Social Aids provides “Conditional Education Aid” to the families who cannot send their children to school due to financial impossibilities, provided that their children continue their education.
Ministry of National Education provides course books to all students in the primary education free of charge.
Ministry of Youth and Sports Directorate General of Higher Education Student Loans and Dormitories provides a grant in the amount of TRY 400 to higher education students who meet the required criteria and also provides a loan in the amount of TRY 400 to all the students who applied for it. These amounts are increased annually in the inflation rate.
Policy Documents, Strategy Documents and Actions Plans including policies, targets, measures and activities regarding social inclusion for youth are designed in accordance with monitoring and evaluation system.