On this page
On this page
General Directorate of Lifelong Learning is the principal public authority from which youth can receive guidance services as regards non-formal education. Temporary Education Centers, within the body of the General Directorate, offer advice on non-formal education opportunities to youth. The Youth Centers under the Ministry of Youth and Sports are the principal establishments which inform youth about youth studies and offer them non-formal education opportunities. Youth Centers are densely organized locally, organizing youth studies and non-formal education activities for the youth and conducting awareness raising work on the importance of non-formal learning.
The 2014-2018 National Lifelong Learning Strategy Document (2014-2018 Dönemi Ulusal Hayat Boyu Öğrenme Stratejisi Belgesi) which was prepared with the aim to increase the effectiveness and productivity of lifelong learning system prioritizes;
1. Raising public awareness and Creating a Lifelong Learning culture,
2. Increasing Lifelong Learning opportunities and offers,
3. Increasing access to Lifelong Learning opportunities,
4. Improving Lifelong Guidance and Counseling services,
5. Improving the System of Recognition of Prior Learning,
6. Improving Lifelong Learning Monitoring and Evaluation System.
In the 2014-2018 National Lifelong Learning Strategy Document (2014-2018 Dönemi Ulusal Hayat Boyu Öğrenme Stratejisi Belgesi), the Raising public awareness and Creating a Lifelong Learning culture is determined as the first priority area. And, in order to serve this priority, the following measures are arranged:
- Programs on TV, radio and relevant medium will be broadcasted for raising awareness in the society on lifelong learning.
- Awareness on the role of the visual and written media in improving lifelong learning culture will be raised.
- “Learning Festivals” practices will be generalised throughout the country.
- Awareness for the individuals to become active and participating citizens will be raised.
Within the scope of the Technical Support Project-II for Improving Lifelong Learning in Turkey (Türkiye’de Hayat Boyu Öğrenmenin Geliştirilmesi Teknik Destek Projesi-II) implemented between 20 January 2016 and 20 September 2017, it is aimed to increase lifelong learning opportunities, awareness on lifelong learning and participation rate in the lifelong learning through development and improvement of integrative and comprehensive strategies for lifelong learning. Within the scope of the project, monitoring and assessment of activities regarding Lifelong Learning Strategy Document (Hayat Boyu Öğrenme Strateji Belgesi) that is in the nature of being the main strategy document in non-formal learning are realised and workshops for including the awareness on non-formal education in the curriculum, increasing awareness on the importance of validation of non-formal education are organised.
In the National Youth and Sport Policy Document (Ulusal Gençlik ve Spor Politikası Belgesi), it is accepted to take necessary measures for the youths who could not enjoy the right to education for any reason to avail themselves of the vocational and non-formal education opportunities within the scope of lifelong learning strategy in terms of increasing awareness on the non-formal education opportunities before the youth. In the context of policy on improving non-formal education possibilities and strengthening the sense of lifelong learning, the following targets are included:
• To improve vocational knowledge and skills of people through education programs like in-service training etc.
• To increase practices aimed at internalisation of ethic values.
• To generalise informative, educative activities like courses, seminars, workshops etc. for different sections of the society, families, housewives, youth in line with the sense of lifelong education.
• To present new opportunities to the youth who are outside the formal education or dropped out of the education program that are in line with the sense of lifelong education.
• To support works that will improve reading and writing habits of the youth, encourage the use of library and facilitate the access to libraries.
Besides, a new web-portal which announces the Life-Long Learning opportunities and offers the possibility for applying these opportunities is in place. This web-portal (http://hbo.meb.gov.tr/portaldosyalar/index.php) is widely used by young people.