LAST MODIFIED ON: 05/08/2020
The Youth Service in Wales is open to all young people within the specified age range 11 to 25. The statement of youth policy, included in the Youth Work Strategy for Wales 2019 states that
Youth work is a universal entitlement, delivered by both voluntary and local authority youth services, and is open to all young people within the specified 11 to 25 age range. Youth work is an intrinsic element of youth support services, which seek to ensure that all 11 to 25-year-olds have access to a variety of services, support and experiences they need to achieve their potential.
The Youth Work Strategy 2019 promotes a vision in which there is access to opportunities in both Welsh and English, youth work approaches that provide enjoyment and enrich personal development, rights-based youth work that is informed by young people, and a common understanding of youth work with clear lines of accountability. The following five aims will be used to achieve this vision:
- Young people are thriving
- Youth work is accessible and inclusive
- Voluntary and paid professional youth work staff are supported throughout their careers to improve their practice
- Youth work is valued and understood
- A sustainable model for youth work delivery
See Youth Work Strategy 2019 for more information.