On this page
On this page
Existence of a national strategy to increase young people's political and civil society participation
Currently there is no governmental strategic document whose principal aim would be to increase youth participation in civic and political life. The Youth Strategy for 2007-2013 (Strategia na rzecz młodzieży na lata 2007-2013), and the Youth Programme: Active Youth (Program na rzecz młodzieży: aktywna młodzież), have not been fully implemented or have remained at the draft stage. Both documents treat the issue of increasing youth participation in political and social life as one of their priorities (Zielińska, 2009). There is currently one ministerial document which contains provisions relating to the promotion of young people’s active citizenship - the “Sectoral Programme Youth Joined in Action for 2016-2019”(Resortowy Program Młodzież Solidarna w Działaniu na lata 2016-2019).
This document, prepared by the Ministry of Family, Labour and Social Policy, is entitled the “Sectoral Programme Youth Joined in Action for 2016-2019”(Resortowy Program Młodzież Solidarna w Działaniu na lata 2016-2019). The program described in the document is a strategy for ministerial funding provided for delegated tasks aimed at the achievement of specific goals. It develops activities related to the Social Capital Development Strategy and the Human Capital Development Strategy and “extends the scope of support provided by the programme Active Forms of Social Exclusion Prevention - the 2020 new dimension, competition 3: Active youth attitudes - raising competences, entrepreneurship and environmental responsibility.”
The main objective of the programme is to facilitate the creation of a space in which to develop young people’s engagement influencing their identity, family, social, cultural and professional life. With regards to the stimulation of youth in the realm of civic activity, the programme aims at increasing social engagement and active citizenship as well as youth participation in cultural life. Priority III - Young citizens - envisages funding provided to activities aimed at supporting:
- Citizenship education and global education;
- young people’s participation in the life of local communities and in representative democracy;
- youth participation in decision-making by extending consultation and social agreements with youth,
- participative ways of designing places of integration and leisure,
- creating and supporting regional and local youth websites,
- encouraging participation in local and national elections;
- various bodies (councils) representing youth;
- taking up local initiatives such as happenings, social activism in various areas;
- activities aimed at young people organising themselves into informal and organised groups (ordinary associations, associations, etc.);
- animating partnerships and cooperation networks.
Funding projects with the participation of 6000 end beneficiaries by 2019 is the intended end objective of the programme. This programme mainly targets young people at risk of social exclusion; young people with disabilities are also quoted as a target group. Currently there is no available information related to the stage of progress in activities funded under the project.
The document has been prepared by the Ministry of Family, Labour and Social Policy.