Skip to main content


EACEA National Policies Platform


2. Voluntary Activities

2.5 Cross-border mobility programmes

Last update: 9 May 2023
On this page
  1. EU programmes
  2. Other Programmes
  3. Legal framework applying to foreign volunteers

EU programmes

With regards to voluntary activities, the most important EU programme is the European Solidarity Corps (in Finnish Solidaarisuusjoukot) which replaced the European Voluntary Service (EVS) in 2018. As the national agency of the Corps and the Erasmus+, the Finnish National Agency for Education provides information on the programme, provides assistance for the application process, manages the selection of projects, supports and monitors their implementation and gives out information on the results of the programme in accordance with the Commission’s guidelines. 

Nowadays, there are three rounds annually to apply for funding. See the examples of funded Volunteering Projects, Traineeships and Jobs, Solidarity Projects in Finland here (2019/Round 2). There is approximately 2,6 million euro available in the European Solidarity Corps Programme for financing the actions of Finnish stakeholders in 2020.

Due to the ongoing situation in Ukraine, young people coming from Ukraine are now able to do another short- or long-term volunteering period with the European Solidarity Corps, if they have already carried out a short- or long-term volunteering period in Finland. Ukrainian volunteers can be hosted without a support organisation. For more information, see Rules for ongoing Erasmus+ projects in the field of youth with Ukrainian partners by the Finnish National Agency of Education

Other Programmes

There are no other cross-border mobility programmes for volunteering that are funded by the government.

Legal framework applying to foreign volunteers

There is no specific legal framework that applies to young volunteers abroad.