On this page
Access to information
Through Youth Guarantee [cfr. § 3.6], the Government encourages forms and services for self-employment. The interventions of the program, whose objective is the development of entrepreneurial attitudes and the start of self-employment or business activities for young people aged 18 to 35, are:
YES I Start Up is aimed at NEETs aged between 18 and 29 and offers them a training programme in entrepreneurship with courses focused on the competences necessary for the development of their own start-up.
ICT skills for the young people of Southern Italy is a measure that promotes the professional growth and of young NEETs resident in the southern regions (Abruzzo, Molise, Sardinia, Basilicata, Calabria, Campania, Puglia and Sicily) and enhances their employment opportunities.
Crescere in Digitale 2.0 aims to promote the acquisition of digital skills and stimulate youth self-employment through a training course focused on the opportunities offered by the Internet.
Young programmers and developers in the ICT sector consists of specialized training courses, guidance and accompaniment to the job placement of specific professional figures in the ICT world, such as: Java programmers, junior web developer, junior mobile developer, junior data scientists.
The actors directly or indirectly interested in the construction of the business idea and that help young people along the way by offering them services and assistance are:
- Ministry of Labour and Social Policies [cfr. § 3.2]
- ANPAL [cf. § 3.2]
- Services for self-employment (within employment services), Regions and local entities, sportelli unici delle attività produttive(SUAP) of the municipalities
- Trade associations
- Non-profit organizations
- National agency for micro-credit
Support for young self-entrepreneurs, from the start-up phase to the realization of the business idea, is made available at national and/or regional levels also thanks to incentives for business creation.
Furthermore, the Ministry of Economic Development (MiSE) [cf. § 3.2] through the National Industry Plan 4.0 promotes a series of organic and complementary measures to encourage investments in innovation, competitiveness and the development of the essential skills for the fourth industrial revolution.
Access to capital
Young entrepreneurs who wish to start new businesses can apply for public grants. The government, through the portal incentivi.gov.it, has created a vademecum on the incentives made available by the public administration. Those dedicated specifically to supporting young entrepreneurs include:
- New Enterprises at Zero Rate, a measure aimed at supporting the creation of micro and small enterprises whose corporate structure is made up for more than half the number of members and participation shares by individuals aged between 18 and 35, or by women. The measure guarantees interest-free financing for an amount not exceeding 75% of the eligible expenditure for investment programs not exceeding 1.5 million euros.
- SELFIEmployment is a fund that provides NEETs aged between 18 and 29 enrolled in the Youth Guarantee program a loan without interest and without the need for real and/or personal guarantees. The fund finances the start-up of businesses through microcredit (from €5,000 to €25,000 euros), extended micro-credit (from €25,001 to €35,000) and small loans (from €35,001 to €50,000).
- Resto al Sud, an economic incentive that supports new entrepreneurial activities developed by individuals under the age of 46 in the southern regions.
There are further measures aimed at supporting start-ups and/or SMEs, and that have no age limits for the beneficiaries. The forms of support that young entrepreneurs can access include:
- Smart&Start Italy is aimed at innovative start-ups that have been established for no more than 60 months or in the launching phase and guarantees beneficiaries a subsidized loan and a tutoring service.
- National Innovation Fund is a multi-fund that operates through venture capital strategies and makes direct and indirect investments in capital of start-ups, scaleups and SMEs.
- Spin - Scaleup program Invitalia network is dedicated to the entrepreneurial development of innovative start-ups, SMEs and university based spin-offs operating in Basilicata, Calabria, Campania, Puglia and Sicily.
It is also possible to refer to the ANPAL guide to look for entrepreneurship incentives. The document provides a periodic summary of the available hiring incentives and supports for new business at national and regional levels.
There are also some programs for the promotion of social entrepreneurship that are aimed at social enterprises, social cooperatives and non-profit cooperatives. These interventions are not specifically aimed at young social entrepreneurs. However, they offer them the opportunity to access forms of financial support and include:
- Italy social economy, for the promotion, spreading and strengthening of the social economy.
- Nuova Marcora - birth and development of small and medium-sized cooperatives, aimed at promoting the creation and development of different types of cooperatives including those managing confiscated criminal assets.
Lastly, Regions and Municipal Administrations, in collaboration with the school and professional system, promote and support the creation of start-ups in their own territory through business incubators or by providing young entrepreneurs with financial support.