On this page
On this page
Formal education emphasizes the link between of creativity in entrepreneurship, but no specific programs or initiatives are set up on cultural activities and entrepreneurship.
In non-formal education and youth work more attention is geared towards the connection between cultural activities and entrepreneurship. The Action Plan for Entrepreneurship Education 2015-2019 mentions support for youth cooperation (see also chapter 3). Youth cooperation schemes enable young people to experiment with their entrepreneurial skills in a supportive and safe environment. This has led to some initiatives. One example is Haven. Haven is a cooperative of young people, youth houses and motivated partners. The co-operative was founded in May 2016 by ten youth houses, Format (the Federation of youth houses) and the Artevelde school (more specific ArtePreneur within the Artevelde school). They provide a safe experimental space where young entrepreneurs get the space and time to experiment with their own project. This way they can safely test the viability of their own businesses while developing the necessary entrepreneurship skills. This project is supported by VLAIO, the Flemish Agency for Innovation and Entrepeneurship.
Kopiloot is an initiative of Flanders Innovation & Entrepreneurship (Agentschap Innoveren & Ondernemen - VLAIO, the contact point for entrepeneurs in Flanders) and Flanders DC (Flanders District of Creativity is the contact point for entrepreneurs in the creative industries in Flanders). Through the Kopiloot platform young creative entrepreneurs can ask questions to experts with experience in the cultural and creative sector. They provide advice or draw up a guidance process in which they share their knowledge. In addition to the individual approach, young creative entrepreneurs can also register for group programs via Kopiloot.
Flanders DC, or Flanders District of Creativity in full, is the unique point of contact for entrepreneurship in the creative sector. It supports, promotes and connects creative entrepreneurs from Flanders through:
- the entrepreneurs guide: a guide with practical information and tools to get started
- tailored advice
- promotions for the design, fashion and gaming sector
- an online magazine, for and about creative entrepreneurs
- an activity calendar for the creative sector
Cultuurloket provides first-line advice to individuals and organizations active in the cultural and creative sectors. Young entrepreneurs in the cultural and creative sectors can go there with questions about business and legal aspects. They offer:
- an online knowledge base that collects business economic and legal information, useful for the cultural sector
- advice, both by telephone and through personal conversations
- info sessions (e.g. about contracting and negotiating in the performing arts) or round table discussions, for those who also want to exchange ideas with others
- brochures and documents on various topics, such as VAT in the artistic sector, crowdfunding, ...