On this page
On this page
The aim of the Law on Youth Participation and Youth Policies (Закон за младинско учество и младински политики) adopted in January 2020 is to ensure: “creating and implementing youth policy at all levels through multisector approach, starting from the needs and interests of young people; strengthening the participation of young people in the policy-making processes for youth, active information, promotion and protection of the interests of young people, as well as raising awareness of the importance of young people and their social role; promoting intergenerational partnerships to support youth participation in the decision-making and policy-making process; support and promotion of youth organization; encouraging structural dialogue at national and local level; encouraging volunteering, youth activism and youth work and encouraging personal, professional and social development of young people.
Even though the process of development of the National Youth Strategy took place long before the adoption of the Law on Youth Participation and Youth Policies, it included a public call for participation in thematic working groups. Civil society organizations, informal groups and individuals had the opportunity to choose in which thematic area they would like to be involved, where representative from Public institutions and young people together worked on creation on the National Youth Strategy 2016-2025.
The structure, composition, role and funding of the main Youth actors: National Assembly of Youth, National Advisory Body for Youth Policies; Local Assemblies of Youth and Local Youth Councils are explained in 5.3.
The National Youth Council of Macedonia is an umbrella organization and representative body of 52 youth organizations in North Macedonia. As such, it has great impact and influence in policy making concerning youth.
Specific target groups
No official public information is available
During consultation processes, the key public actors are: The Agency of youth and Sport (Агенција за млади и спорт), Ministry of Education and Science , Ministry of Labor and Social Policy (Министерство за труд и социјална политика) , National Agency for European Educational Programmes and Mobility , the Units of Local self-Government, the Assembly of North Macedonia and the Club on Youth Affairs and Policies, Cross-sectoral group on youth within the Ministry of Culture (Министерство за култура), and the Government of the Republic of North Macedonia
As additional stakeholders involved in the consultation processes are: other government agencies; High Education Institutions; High School Institutions; Media representatives and Civil Society Organizations.
No official public information is available
The Law on Youth Participation and Youth Policies specifies that:
The scope of work of the National Assembly of Youth consists of:
- election of youth representatives in the advisory body;
- creating policies and priorities;
- monitoring the work of youth representatives;
- reviewing reports from youth representatives and
- other activities in accordance with the Law on Youth Participation and Youth Policies and the Rules of Procedure.
The local youth councils have an advisory and advocacy role in the municipalities, the municipalities in the city of Skopje and the city of Skopje within the scope of youth issues and policies.
The representatives of the local youth council have the right to:
- propose items on the agenda of the Municipal Council, the municipalities in the city Skopje and the city of Skopje that affect young people,
- initiate questions for young people from the scope of work of the municipalities, the municipalities in the city of Skopje and the city of Skopje,
- initiate, participate in and provide feedback on the local process youth strategy and other policies,
- submit information to the municipalities, the municipalities in the city of Skopje and the city of Skopje for issues related to youth and
- perform other advisory and advocacy activities in accordance with this law.
The National Advisory Body for Youth Policies, has the following competencies:
-provides opinions and recommendations for implementation of youth regulations and policies,
- provides an opinion on the National Youth Strategy and the action plan for implementation of the National Youth Strategy,
- provides an opinion on the budget funds intended for young people as well as proposals, opinions and recommendations for financing youth-related activities,
- initiates consideration of youth issues to the Government and the Assembly of the Republic of North Macedonia,
- proposes the establishment of mechanisms for evaluation of youth participation and realization of youth interests in social life,
- publishes reports (thematic and periodical) on the rights, opportunities and needs of young people in the Republic of North Macedonia,
- follows the recommendations of the European Union for youth and advocates for improvement of youth policies,
- organizes events and consultations for its work with youth organizations and young and
- performs other activities related to the youth and their interests.
There is no publicly available information on the extent to which the proposals and initiatives of young people are incorporated in public policies. Institutions usually share general information about youth consultations. For example, the National Youth Strategy 2016-2025 states: “National Youth Strategy, as a strategic document, was developed with the active participation of young people and representatives of relevant institutions who, in a transparent and inclusive process, expressed their opinions and needs in relation to the nine priority areas identified in the Strategy.”
 National Youth Strategy 2016-2025, Agency of Youth and Sport, p.3 http://strategijazamladi.mk/sites/default/files/National-Youth-Strategy-2016-2025.pdf (Accessed December 13, 2018)
The National Youth Council in Macedonia organized consultative meetings with young people 15-29 years of age in order to promote structural dialogue in the beginning of 2018. The main aim was to introduce and promote the process of structured dialogue as a very efficient tool for dialogue between young people and decision-makers.
Dialogue with civil society organizations - EU Structural Participation Platform
Integrations (Дијалог со граѓанските организации – Платформа за структурно учество во ЕУ интеграциите) is an EU-funded project whose aim is to ensure essential and structural participation of the civil society that reflects the views of citizens about key sectoral reforms in the EU process.
Project implementation started on 1.4.2019 and will end on 31.3.2022. In particular, the project is focused on attainment of three objectives, as follows:
1. Establish a platform that will structure participation of civil society organizations in consultations and decision-making process related to the country’s accession in the EU
The project will establish a platform for structural participation of the civil society in institutional consultation mechanisms, thereby increasing availability of information and support for participation in policy-making related to the EU accession process.
2. Enhance formal consultation mechanisms with the civil society
At the same time, the project aims to increase the civil society impact on sector reforms in the EU accession process and will work on all institutional consultation mechanisms between the Government and civil society.
3. Increase the civil society impact on the country’s accession in the EU
The project strives to increase the civil society impact on policies related to the EU accession process by means of evidence-based policy creation, development of policy documents (shadow reports, policy briefs, position statements) in key sectors and reform policies under the EU accession process.