On this page
On this page
In East Belgium there is currently no strategic paper on the subject of creativity and culture for young people. However, the strategy programme of the government (regional development concept) "DG - East Belgium Life 2025" provides for various measures in this area.
REK II "Culture in Focus"
As part of the first implementation phase of the Regional Development Concept (REK I), a comprehensive reform process has been launched that has been anchored in law with the passing of the Culture Promotion Decree on 18 November 2013 in the Parliament of the German-speaking Community. With the government declaration in 2009, the promotion of culture has become a strategic priority for the DG government. In the implementation of the future project in the area of culture, the following three aspects were important:
- Reforming the promotion of professional culture work,
- Developing the promotion of youth culture,
- Maintaining the cultural identity if the DG by recording the intangible cultural heritage.
With the reform of the promotion of professional cultural organisations, the aim of the REK I future project was to create the basis for further professionalisation and consolidation of full-time culture work. Via "developing the promotion of youth culture" an attempt should be made to give a forum to the creative work of young people. Since 2012 the "Kulturbeutel" has been promoting youth culture in the DG. Support is provided to projects by children and young people between 14 and 30 from all fields: music, film, dance, theatre, literature, visual arts, events etc. The young people are both given advice on their projects and financially supported. The third focus for promotion, "maintaining the intangible cultural heritage of the German-speaking Community" aims to introduce measures for the systematic and sustainable maintenance of the intangible heritage. in 2014 the first results of the Dialect Atlas, produced by the German Studies Faculty of the University of Liège, was presented to the public. in 2013 the recording of the customs and traditions was started.
The future project "Culture in Focus" covers three areas: cultural education, mobility and creative leisure provision.
- Cultural education: inventory on cultural education in the DG, organisation of a conference, development of "Culture Makes the School", concept of cultural education in the DG
- Creative leisure provision: survey of the existing creative leisure provision for children and young people
- Mobility of artists: provision for cultural and creative economists, creation of an artist-in-residence concept, mobility of artists (here this not only involves young artists but also artists in general).
Ministry of the German-speaking Community
The Ministry is currently dealing with the evaluation of the "Culture Makes the School" programme to better adapt to the needs of the young people.