In this chapter an overview on Youth Policy Governance in the Republic of Serbia is presented.
The Youth Policy is being implemented by the Ministry of Youth and Sport responsible for youth affairs through the implementation of the National Youth Strategy 2015-2025 and other policy documents for the field of youth. The Ministry coordinates activities related to the implementation of these documents, together with different bodies in charge of special areas in youth sector and all other Youth Policy actors. Youth Policy actors besides the Ministry, are:
- the Provincial Secretariat for Sports and Youth,
- line ministries,
- local self-government units/local youth offices,
- National Youth Council of Serbia (Krovna organizacija mladih Srbije),
- institutions, youth and for youth associations carrying out youth activities,
- and other actors participating in the implementation of the Youth Policy.
Besides the National Youth Strategy 2015-2025, other relevant documents/policies in place are:
- the Law on Youth (Zakon o mladima),
- the Action Plan for the Implementation of the National Youth Strategy (Akcioni plan za sprovođenje Strategije za mlade),
- Youth Health Development Strategy (Strategija razvoja zdravlja mladih ),
- the Labor Law (Zakon o radu), etc.
One of the first major milestones in supporting youth policy/youth policy governance was the establishment of the Ministry of Youth and Sport in 2007. Later on, youth policy was further defined in the Law on Youth (Zakon o mladima) which entered into force in 2012.
The Law on Youth regulates measures and activities undertaken by the Republic of Serbia, the autonomous province and local self-governments aimed at improving the social status and position of youth and at creating conditions for addressing young people’s needs and interests in all the areas of interest for young people.
The purpose of the Law is also to create conditions for supporting young people in organisations, social activism, development and fulfilment of their potential for their own and for the benefit of the society.