1.9 Current debates and reforms
Draft Amendments to the Law on Youth
The Ministry of Youth and Sport of the Republic of Serbia announced the drafting of Amendments to the Law on Youth in June 2021. A working group was formed to ensure the representation of all relevant subjects of youth policy and prepare the draft by March 15, 2022.
The main objectives and targets to which Amendments to the Law should apply are:
- Improving the system of selection and financing of programmes and projects of public interest in the field of youth sector;
- Improving the coordination of youth policy stakeholders in conducting youth policy and monitoring the state in the field;
- Improving the national register of youth associations and unions.
The Ministry launched a broad consultative process regarding the draft, by having organized roundtables in 6 cities in Serbia by September 2021 that included representatives of the youth sector. The Ministry also provided an opportunity for young people to submit comments, suggestions and questions electronically and announced future public hearings on the subject.
The revision of the National Youth Strategy
In parallel with the process of amending the Law on Youth described above, the Ministry of Youth and Sport launched an initiative for revision of the National Youth Strategy 2015-2025 or the development of a new Strategy with the main objectives to:
- Synchronize with other strategic documents and acts of public policy at national and international levels;
- Adjust goals and objectives of the Strategy according to The effect analysis of its application so far, The research on the position and needs of young people and the recognized need to address the field of youth work more thoroughly in the Strategy;
- Improving implementation and its monitoring, as well as evaluating and reporting on the effects of the Strategy.
Subsequently, the Draft Youth Strategy 2022-2030 was published in February 2020 along with a call for comments from the interested public as part of the broad consultations.