3.7 Cross-border mobility in employment, entrepreneurship and vocational opportunities
Programmes and schemes for cross-border mobility
Two programmes for cross-border mobility that are being most active in Serbia are:
Erasmus+ programme – Key Action 1 Mobility of Individuals is a part of the programme that supports:
- Mobility of learners: opportunities for pupils, students, trainees and young people to undertake a learning and/or professional experience in another country;
- Youth participation activities: youth-led local and transnational initiatives run by informal groups of young people and/or youth organisations to help young people engage and learn to participate in democratic life;
- DiscoverEU: action offering 18-year-olds an opportunity to have a short-term individual or group travel experience throughout Europe.
In terms of mobilities fostering employment, entrepreneurship and vocational opportunities, individuals participate in different parts of KA1. Young people participate in:
- Mobility in the field of higher education, where students can either study abroad at a partner higher education institution or carry out a traineeship in an enterprise, a research institute, a laboratory, an organisation or any other relevant workplace abroad. Students can also combine a study period abroad with a traineeship, further enhancing the learning outcomes and developing transversal skills;
- Mobility in the field of vocational education and training, where apprentices and students can go to VET providers and/or companies abroad;
- Mobility in the field of school education, for pupils in primary and secondary education;
- Learning mobility in the field of Youth that provide non-formal and informal learning opportunities for young people and youth workers enabling them to acquire essential competences that contribute to their personal and social and educational development and foster their active participation in society, thereby improving their employment prospects.
As regards pupils, students, trainees, apprentices and young people, mobility activities supported under Key Action 1 are meant to produce, among other things, enhanced employability and improved career prospects, increased sense of initiative and entrepreneurship, increased self-empowerment and self-esteem.
The support to individuals wanting to participate in Erasmus+ Programme is provided by the National Agency – Foundation Tempus (Fondacija Tempus) in terms of guidance and advice before, during and after mobilities.
EU Erasmus for Young Entrepreneurs is a programme for entrepreneurs mobilities aiming to support their knowledge and practical skills gain. Individuals from Serbia are supported by local points in terms of guidance, help with application and establishing communication with suitable foreign entrepreneurs. Local points in Serbia are Serbian Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Creative Hub, Business Incubator Novi Sad, Business Development Center Kragujevac.
There is no specific legal framework for cross-border mobility of young workers, trainees/apprentices and professionals/entrepreneurs in Serbia. The Law on Foreigners (Zakon o strancima) applies also to all incoming young workers, trainees/apprentices and professionals/entrepreneurs.