On this page
On this page
The main actor involved in policy-making on youth work is the Youth Board of Cyprus. According to the Youth Board’s Law, the Administrative Board of the Youth Board of Cyprus advises the Council of Ministers through the Minister of Education, Culture, Youth and Sports, for the development of a comprehensive and targeted youth policy that promotes the following aims:
- the progress and prosperity of all young people of Cyprus, regardless of ethnicity origin or religion;
- the provision of opportunities to all young people and their organizations for participation and for taking responsibility in the social, economic and cultural development;
- the creative engagement of young people in Cyprus;
- the immediate and effective encounter of the problems youth are facing.
The main non-public actors involved are the Cyprus Youth Council, the Cyprus Youth Clubs Organization and the Municipal and Community Youth Councils:
- Cyprus Youth Council: In a nutshell, the Cyprus Youth Council’s role is to voice the concerns of youth NGOs including lobbying to policy makers for a number of youth related issues.
- Municipal and Community Youth Councils: The role of the Municipal and Community Youth Councils is to advice their local authorities and recommend solution-policies and actions in regard to problems that young people face in relation to the community.
- Cyprus Youth Clubs Organisation: This is the largest non-governmental youth non-profit organization in Cyprus. Youth Clubs are youth organizations that provide creative engagement, information and entertainment opportunities to young people and are open to all youth. They collaborate closely with the Youth Board of Cyprus in order to reach better the young people all over the country, especially in rural areas.
Regarding the general distribution of responsibilities between top-level and regional/local authorities, for every youth work programme, the Youth Board of Cyprus collaborates with the respective local authority for its implementation.
Cross-sectoral cooperation between the Youth Board of Cyprus, the Human Resource Development Agency, the local authorities, the Ministry of Education, Culture, Youth and Sports and the main non-public actors involved in youth work is ensured through the National Youth Strategy. The National Youth Strategy endorses a strong cross-sectoral cooperation between the above mentioned parties that stretches also in the field of youth work.
Moreover, in 2020, the Youth Board of Cyprus established a dedicated Working Group on Youth Work, consisted of Youth Board officers and representatives of umbrella youth organisations, with the mandate to work on the development of an action plan for the holistic and quality development of youth work in Cyprus.
Moreover, the help line 1410 of the Youth Board of Cyprus coordinates all help lines concerning young people in Cyprus. Although each help line is run by different organizations (governmental and non-governmental) and focuses on different topics (addictions, psychological support, violence, etc), the importance of coordinating all help lines under the common umbrella of 1410 has been underlined. This ensures again a cross-sectoral cooperation between all actors involved in this specific field of youth work.