On this page
On this page
There is no governmental authority directly responsible for youth work. More than this, no national policy or strategy dedicated to youth work was put in place. Youth work and the development of the domain is part of the Youth Strategy and the Ministry of Youth and Sports is the governmental authority taking action on that especially through the national granting schemes for youth NGOs.
Youth work would then fall under the remit of ministry that is responsible for youth (youth and sports) but considering the types of activities developed – specially the ones where non-formal learning instruments and tools are used – education is also one of the key domains. More than this, going back to the main function of youth work – that of helping young people to reach their full personal and professional potential, matters related to social affairs, social justice and family welfare should be considered within the governance structure.
Consequently, the main top-level governmental authorities responsible for youth work are the following:
- Ministry of Youth and Sports
- Ministry of Education
- Ministry of Labor and Social Protection
- National Agency for Community Programmes in the Field of Education and Vocational Training
Non-governmental organizations participate in the policy making in the field of youth work as consultative structures for the governmental using three main methods:
- the National Council For Youth (NCFY) created in 2020 as an advisory body for the Ministry of Youth and Sports, composed by 50 representatives of youth civil society organisations (presented in section 5.3 of Youth Wiki). The council has a committee dedicated to culture and recreational activities for young people, including youth work activities, and a committee dedicated to infrastructure for youth work (youth centres and youth camp infrastructure etc.).
- ad-hoc consultative meetings
- at the Ministry of Youth and Sport, The National Consultative Council on Youth Matters
Concerning the general distribution of responsibilities the main governance approach to youth works as following:
- Ministry of Youth and Sports dealing with the policy design, monitoring and evaluation in youth policy, in general. The Ministry of Youth and Sports has County Directorates on Youth and Sports where the youth counselors deliver their youth work activities.
- Ministry of Education dealing with elements of validation of learning including the recognition of non-formal education learning paths
- Ministry of Labor and Social Protection dealing with measures related to social inclusion, social justice and the general framework on youth policies
- National Agency for Community Programmes in the Field of Education and Vocational Training dealing mainly with the youth workers’ training through its own local and national initiatives as well as through the international training activities developed on partnership basis with the other National Agencies or supporting the participation of Romanian youth workers to different international youth activities.
No existing mechanism of cross-sectorial cooperation between Ministries, Departments, Agencies involved in defining policies and measures on work are established in Romania.