Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.
Skip to main content
European Commission logo


EACEA National Policies Platform


3. Employment & Entrepreneurship

3.7 Cross-border mobility in employment, entrepreneurship and vocational opportunities

Last update: 25 March 2024
On this page
  1. Programmes and schemes for cross-border mobility
  2. Legal framework

Programmes and schemes for cross-border mobility

EURES is a cooperation between the European Commission, the EU/EEA countries and Switzerland. The cooperation is designed to promote the free movement of workers within the EU/EEA and Switzerland. In Norway, EURES is an integrated service within the Norwegian Labour and Welfare Administration (NAV).

The Service Centre for Foreign Workers (SUA) helps foreigners who come to Norway to work. The following can receive assistance from SUA:

  • EU/EEA nationals who come to work in Norway, and their family members.
  • Non-EU/EEA nationals who are applying for a residence permit to work in Norway, and their family members.
  • Employers of the above

SUA is a cooperative effort between  the Labour Inspection Authoritythe police, the Norwegian Tax Administration and the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration. is a resource and information site for those who need advice and information on applying for jobs, working life, and relocation to Norway. The guide includes links to official websites that provide useful information before arrival, in addition to the time during the initial period at work. The website also applies to Norwegian employers wanting to recruit foreign workers to Norway and to foreign companies who want to sell their services in Norway. 

Eurodesk Norway offers a range of services to facilitate access to European information (education, work, scholarships, financing, volunteering etc)– such as free enquiry answering, help and guidance by telephone, e-mail or in person, summaries of European programmes, publications on print and web sites, disseminating mobility information on events, seminars and youth meetings. Eurodesk is run by the Norwegian Erasmus+ Youth in Action office at the Norwegian Directorate of Children, Youth and Family Affairs. is a Nordic initiative to increase cross-border work mobility in the Nordic Region, particularly to youth between the ages of 18 and 30. The Nordic exchange programme offers summer jobs in the Nordic countries. Nordjobb also provides its applicants with accommodation and organizes culture- and leisure activities.

Legal framework

The Immigration Act (2010) provides the legal framework for foreign nationals who wish to work in Norway. Unless otherwise provided by legislation currently in force, foreign nationals have the same rights and obligations as Norwegian nationals during their lawful stay in Norway. Everyone who works in Norway must have a tax deduction card and a Norwegian identification number. As a legal resident in Norway, you are as a general rule a member of the National Insurance Scheme

The EU/EEA regulations give all EU/EEA nationals and their family members the right to live, work and study in Norway. The EU/EEA regulations are a part of the collaboration between Norway and the EU through the EEA agreement. The regulations that apply to EU/EEA nationals are regulated through EU Directive 2004/38/EC of 29 April 2004 which is incorporated into the Immigration Act chapter 13. Citizens of an EU/EEA country do not need a residence permit to work in Norway and can stay in Norway for up to six months while searching for a job. The EU/EEA national must registered with the police as a job seeker within three months after arrival in Norway. 

Foreign nationals from countries outside the EU/EEA who wish to work in Norway need to apply for a residence permit as a skilled worker, ethnic cook, seasonal worker, self-employed person or employee in a humanitarian, non-profit or religious organisation. It is also possible to apply for a residence permit to attend a working holiday for young adults, as a working guest in agriculture, or as an artist, musician, or performer. To apply for a residence permit, foreign nationals must receive a job offer from an employer in Norway. In some exceptional cases skilled workers may be granted a residence permit to stay in Norway while looking for work.

There are different types of residence permits for foreign nationals from countries outside the EU/EEA who wish to carry out research or participate in vocational training. Young people between the ages 18 and 30 can apply for a visa to be an intern while studying for a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree. It is possible to get a residence permit as an intern for up to six months. In some circumstances it is possible to get a residence permit for up to 12 months. It is not possible to renew a residence permit as an intern.