6.2 Administration and governance
On this page
On this page
In preparation of the 2015-2019 Strategic Plan of the Ministry of National Education (Millî Eğitim Bakanlığı 2015–2019 Stratejik Planı), the Strategic Planning Guidance for Public Administrations published by the Ministry of Development is taken as basis. Works are carried out in coordination of the R&D units of the Strategy Development Presidency in the central organisation of the Ministry and of Provincial National Education Directorates in provinces. In this context, strategic plan teams are formed in province, district, school and institution directorates under the coordination of R&D units in provincial organisation, of Strategic Plan Coordination Team of the Ministry of National Education (MoE) and Strategic Plan Team of the Ministry of National Education by participation of unit representatives in the central organisation. By the Strategic Plan Circular numbered 2013/26, the MoE strategic plan coordination team formed to carry out strategic plan works of the Ministry is organised.
During strategic plan preparation period, 1.365 people working in R&D units of the provincial national education directorates are given education on strategic planning by the MoE Strategic Plan Coordination Team. The factors working in the R&D units that participated in the education and received certificates train strategic plan teams of the district, school and institutions directorates. In order to receive contribution of the internal and external partners, partner questionnaire is applied and opinions of totally 69.901 people are assessed. Within the scope of partner research, opinions of non-governmental organisations, universities, education faculties and related public institutions and organisations are obtained and important columnists who write articles on education and training are also sent the questionnaire and their opinions are also obtained. During the preparation process of the strategic plan, five workshops with wide participation are organised, in which group studies directed at determination of mission, vision, basic values, aims and targets, SWOT analysis in particular, are done and opinions and proposals of ministry’s central and provincial organisation units. Meeting are held in participation of unit and department heads of the ministry’s central organisation and units’ future visions for the five-year plan process are taken. Studies are presented to the MoE Strategic Plan Higher Board that periodically met under the chairmanship of the Minister of the National education. In line with the decision made in these meetings, necessary changes and regulations are done. The final version of the 2015-2019 Strategic Plan of the MoE (MEB 2015–2019 Stratejik Planı) is approved by the Strategic Plan Higher Board and entered into force.
The legal instrument that forms basis to and steer the education and training policies is the Decree Law no. 652 on Organisation and Duties of the Ministry of National Education (652 sayılı Millî Eğitim Bakanlığının Teşkilat ve Görevleri Hakkında Kanun Hükmünde Kararname) that entered into force after its promulgation in the Official Gazette dated 14/09/2011 and numbered 28054. According to this Decree Law, the duties of the Ministry are:
1. To design, implement, update education and training programs that develop students at pre-school, primary and secondary education physically, mentally, morally, spiritually, socially ad culturally and equip them with knowledge and skill required by the social structure based on human rights and economical system having the power to compete in the global level, and prepare them to the future; to carry out and supervise education and training services of teachers and students in this framework,
2. To set, implement national policies and strategies for each level of education and training, to monitor and supervise their implementation, to update and develop them according to emerging new service models.
3. To design and develop the education system in the light of up to date techniques and models in harmony with the needs of the dynamic, economical and social development that is open to innovations.
4. To develop, implement policies and strategies that facilitate access to education, secure all citizens to enjoy education opportunities and potentials equally, to monitor and coordinate their implementation,
5. To develop, implement policies and strategies that extend participation of girl students, disabled and other section of the society requiring special attention, to coordinate implementation thereof,
6. To design, implement special education and training programs that protect and improve the special qualification of the gifted people, to coordinate implementation thereof,
7. To open education and training institutions other than the higher education, permit them to be opened and supervise them,
8. To carry out works on the needs and problems of the Turkish nationals working or residing abroad in educational field in cooperation with the relevant institutions and organisations,
9. To determine accreditation degree of formal and non-formal education and training institutions opened by institutions and organisations other than the higher education, to prepare programs and regulations,
10. To cooperate in determination of programs and accreditation degree of secondary education institutions affiliated to the Turkish Armed Forces and in preparing their bylaws,
11. To fulfill duties and responsibilities assigned to he Ministry by the Higher Education Law (Yükseköğretim Kanunu) no. 2547 dated 04/11/1981 in order to ensure performance of the higher education within the integrity of national education policy.
Participation of the Ministry of National Education is deemed one of the fundamental elements of strategic planning and emphasis is attached to taking opinions of the interacted parties. Partner analysis was emphasised for development of sustainable policies that will meet the needs of the beneficiaries and for the parties to own the activities and projects to be realised through the prepared strategic plan. By making use of the organisational structure of the Ministry of National Education, legislation, service inventory, standard file plan and activity fields and conclusions of the workshop, a partners list is prepared. Using an effect/importance matrix, partner prioritisation was done and final partner list is formed. Opinion obtaining method is determined according to the characteristics of the partners with set priority and “Internal Partner Questionnaire” and “External Partner Questionnaire” are developed. In the questionnaires, articles determine the perception towards the Ministry, areas to be attached importance and priority, as well as internal factors in the internal partners, and state of accessing the requested information in the external partners. The internal partner questionnaire is applied to approximately 38 thousand employees in the schools, institutions, district, province and central organisations and the external partner questionnaire is applied to approximately 35 thousand participants including students, parents, public institutions, non-governmental organisations, unions and university employees. In addition to questionnaire, meetings and workshops are organised to receive opinions and proposals of the partners. Obtained opinions and proposals are noted in determining problem areas and are reflected in the targets and measures in the future orientation part. Details of the analysis results are in the Partner Analysis Report and Situation Analysis Report.
Basic High Policy Documents
1 Acquis and Progress Reports
3. Medium Term Financial Plan
4. Medium Term Program
6. Ministry’s Legislation
8. National Education Council Resolution