8.5 Developing cultural and creative competences
On this page
On this page
The Protocol on Cooperation for Culture and Arts (Kültür ve Sanat İşbirliği Protokolü) has brought a new framework to the cultural and artistic activities carried out within the scope of formal and non-formal educational activities of the Ministry of National Education. In this scope, it is ensured that the cultural and artistic events organized by the Ministry of Culture and Tourism are announced and carried out at schools. With a view to enhancing the interest of students in art, the necessary preparations are made for artists to visit schools. Drama and diction courses for students have been made widespread.
The culture and art centers of the Ministry of National Education are important formal education institutions for young people to acquire cultural knowledge and develop their creative talents. In order to ensure that students with special talents at preschools, primary, secondary and high schools discover their personal talents and develop their capacities, these centers are opened by the Ministry upon the proposal by Governorates, taking into account the characteristics and transportation facilities of the relevant province and the estimated number of students that will benefit from the center.
These centers are intended to ensure that:
- young people know, adopt, develop and respect national and universal values and improve their leadership, creative and productive talents in such a manner as to contribute to the development of the country with a national and social understanding;
- social and emotional development areas are addressed in whole during the process of improving their skills;
- their talents and creativity are discovered at an early age and improved;
- they are aware of their personal talents and improve them to the best of their capacities;
- they are raised as self-realized individuals who combine scientific method and behavior with aesthetic values and resolve problems
In an attempt to improve their productive and creative skills and talents of young people, Yunus Emre Institute’s competent experts deliver training courses to young people in any branch of art across the world.
Within the framework of Article 44 of the Law no. 5846 on Intellectual and Artistic Works (Fikir ve Sanat Eserleri Kanunu) and Article 6 of the Regulation on Procedures and Principles Regarding Use of Deductions from the Price of Recordable Media Containing Intellectual and Artistic Works and Technical Devices for Reproduction of Such Works (Fikir ve Sanat Eserlerini İçeren Taşıyıcı Materyaller ile Bu Eserlerin Çoğaltılmasına Yarayan Teknik Cihazların Bedellerinden Yapılan Kesintilerin Kullanımına İlişkin Usul ve Esaslar Hakkında Yönetmelik) and within the scope of the financial support provided to projects for strengthening the intellectual property system and carrying out cultural and artistic activities;
1. The Communication Ideas Contest Among University Students titled “I Have an Idea” (Aklıma Bir Fikir Geldi) organized by the Radio-Television Broadcasters Professional Association (RATEM) since 2009 to raise awareness on prevention of breaches of intellectual property rights among the public, particularly university students, was organized for the eighth time in 2016. Within the scope of this event, 3 conferences and exhibitions were held in October and November in the Faculty of Communication of Istanbul Yeni Yüzyıl University and Ankara University. In the contest for universities in our country, the contestants that own the winning works in the categories television, radio and newspaper/magazine received their awards in a ceremony held in Istanbul on December 24, 2016. Within the scope of this event, short movies and materials such as banners and logos that will raise awareness on fighting piracy have been prepared, and the meetings and the award ceremony for promotion of these materials have had printed media and social media coverage.
2. The National Slogan and Logo Contest with a theme on Fighting Piracy titled “Respect the Works, Fight the Piracy” (Esere Saygılı, Korsana Karşıyız), organized by the Professional Association of Owners of Turkish Scientific and Literature Works (İLESAM) since 2011 to teach the concept of intellectual and artistic work to primary and secondary school students and raise awareness on fighting piracy among educational professional was organized for the sixth time. Within the scope of the project, seminars were held on the importance of copyrights and fighting piracy for secondary and high school students and education/training professionals in 7 regions across Turkey and a slogan and logo contest regarding piracy was organized. Upon evaluation of the applications for slogan and logo by the Selection Committee, the works entitled to receive the award were determined and the winning contestants received their awards in a ceremony held in Ankara on May 24, 2017. Within the scope of this event, presentations and materials such as banners and logos that will raise awareness on copyrights and fighting piracy have been prepared, and the meetings and the award ceremony for promotion of these materials have had printed media and social media coverage. Moreover, information was given on the institutional services regarding copyrights and efforts for fighting piracy in the visits paid with the parents and teachers of the students that won an award.
3. The Project for Popularizing and Promotion of Reading Books (Kitap Okumayı Sevdirme ve Özendirme ile Telif Bilincinin Geliştirilmesi Projesi), supported by the Ministry of Culture and Tourism and carried out to help primary and secondary school students adopt the habit of reading and to raise awareness on copyrights, was organized for the 16th time in 2016.
Within the scope of the opportunities provided to teachers, instructors, youth workers so that they can improve their professional competences, the Ministry of Culture and Tourism always contributes to the improvement of young people’s productive and creative skills and talents with its artists, technical personnel and administrative staff in the area of State Theaters. Particularly teachers, instructors and youth workers are professionally supported regarding theater.
The General Directorate of Teacher Training and Development within the Ministry of National Education implements numerous standard and in-service training programs. These training courses and seminars cover more than 50 educational, artistic and cultural branches such as technology use, use of new technologies in measuring and evaluation, health, communication, handicrafts, visual arts, graphics and photography.
As youth leaders, who are an important element of youth studies in Turkey, directly participate in the activities carried out with young people in the area of culture and art and take part in the realization of such activities, they are subjected to development training in this area as well. The themes of the development training courses delivered to the youth leaders as per the Instruction by the Ministry of Youth and Sports on Principles and Procedures of Development Training for Youth Leadership (Gençlik ve Spor Bakanlığı Gençlik Liderliği Yetiştirme, Gelişim Eğitimleri İle Çalışma Usul ve Esasları Yönergesi) are as follows:
- Ministry of Youth and Sports
- Youth Centers
- Leadership and Youth Leadership
- Institutional Culture
- Relations with Non-governmental Organizations
- Project Cycle and Stakeholder Analysis
- Community and Disadvantaged Groups
- Historical and Cultural Values
- Values Training
- Thematic Training Courses
- Fighting Harmful Habits
- Event Design
- Event Groups (Drama, Theater, Music, Literature, Folk Dances, etc.)
- Fundamental Rights and Liberties
- Youth Psychology
- Developing Youth-Friendly Approach (Peer Training)
- Youth Information
- Time Management
- Problem Solving
- Team Management/Group Work
- Communication Skills
- Social Media and Internet
With a view to facilitating the access of young people to an environment in which and and to tools by which they can develop their productivity and creative talents, the sources of information in the National Library of the Ministry of Culture and Tourism are put at the disposal of researchers. The National Library, where millions of printed books, rare manuscripts, various non-book materials, periodicals and electronic sources are available, has 100,000 registered members, and 700 thousand users visit it annually.
The National Library is responsible for compiling all publications on Turks and Turkish Culture, and publishes national bibliographies to make the sources of information compiled available to researchers in a certain order. In this scope, the publication information of the works published in Turkey or abroad and received by the National Library is published en masse under the name Bibliography of Turkey. Furthermore, the publication information of the articles in the scientific journals are published under the name Articles Bibliography of Turkey, thereby facilitating researchers’ access to the scientific information they look for. Additionally, the access to the publication information of the works of or studies on important cultural ambassadors is facilitated with bibliographies with a special theme on the prominent persons of Turkey’s cultural background.