8.2 Administration and governance
On this page
On this page
The Ministry of Culture of the Slovak Republic is the highest authority in the formation, creation and support of the culture and art field in Slovakia.
It manages following areas:
- official state language,
- the monument fund protection,
- cultural heritage and libraries,
- copyright law,
- cultural and educational activities and folk art production,
- presentation of Slovak culture abroad,
- relations with churches and religious communities,
- support of culutre in specific regions and ethnic minotirities´culture,
- media and audiovisual.
No department of the Ministry of Culture of the Slovak Republic is specifically addressing the issue of youth culture.
BIBIANA (The International House of Art for Children) is an independent organization of the Ministry of Culture of the Slovak Republic that focuses on art work designed for all age categories of children and youth:
- art by non-traditional, experimental forms of work,
- interactive exhibitions supplemented by theater performances, creative workshops, music programs,
- in collaboration with students of the Academy of Fine Arts and the Academy of Performing Arts.
The National Culture Centre (NOC) is a state organization of the Ministry of Culture of the Slovak Republic.
- professional-methodical workplace for cultural and educational activities,
- promotes the development of cultural, educational and artistic activities in local and regional conditions, particularly in the following areas:
- artistic interests activities,
- education in culture,
- editing and publishing activities,
- research and monitoring in culture,
- exhibition and presentation activities.
Towns and municipalities are responsible for institutions related to culture and cultural heritage in terms of:
- operation of cultural facilities and maintenance of cultural monuments,
- operation of professional theatres and support for the theatre activities,
- establishment of libraries (scientific, academic, public, educational or special ones),
- establishment of museums or galleries.
Towns and municipalities also ensure:
- cultural activities organization,
- preservation of local cultural values and heritage, traditional folk culture and others,
- training of volunteers and professionals in the field of culture,
- art work promotion (for example, local artists support) or support of creative workers and others.
Important actors of culture, artistic interests activities for children and youth at local level are:
- 444 Youth Centres (CVČ) - facilities in schools network where various interest and hobby clubs are organized; 24% of hobby clubs focused on culture and art (2013),
- 374 Primary Art Schools, where children and youth can develop their talent in playing musical instruments, singing, dancing, fine arts and many others. In the scool year 2020/2021, 170 455 students are attending Primary Art Schools (public, private and church).
Self-governing regions provide:
- creation, presentation and development of cultural values and cultural activities at a regional level,
- creation and implementation of the program of social, economic and cultural development of the region’s territory,
- cooperation with youth centres, community centres, local cultural institutions, educational centres in the region,
- more complex projects in the field of culture ion the region’s territory,
- training of cultural workers,
- coordination of various cultural competitions, shows and events,
- monitoring and evaluation of culture,
- statistical data gathering from the field of culture and others.
The main non-public actors
- profit and non-profit organizations,
- active individuals involved in the development of culture.
1. ANTENA - network of cultural centres and organisations, which operates in the field of independent arts and culture of Slovakia.
2. Institute for Cultural Policies (hereinafter ICP) is the first non-governmental initiative that critically analyses the current state of cultural and educational policy of the Slovak Republic, as well as the activities of governmental and independent cultural organisations and initiatives in the Slovak Republic.
The Ministry of Culture of the Slovak Republic (or its institutions and organizations) are permanent members of cross-sectorial mechanisms in youth policy decision-making.
- Inter-ministerial Working Group on the Youth State Policy ,
- The Committee for Children and Youth, which prepares the National Action Plan for Children.
In these structures Ministry of Culture is responsible for youth policy in the field of culture and various implementation measures.
Long-term co-operation of the Ministry of Education, Science, Research and Sport of the Slovak Republic and the Ministry of Culture of the Slovak Republic is also in the process of creation of the State educational programme of the Slovak Republic, where Ministry of Culture gives expert views and guidelines.