In 2017, a major nationwide debate was held on the National Education and Training Program "Learning Slovakia"
70 aims for the next 10 years of development of educational system in the Slovak Republic.
Main proposed changes:
- To extend compulsory education to 11 years and establish its beginning at the age of 5 years
- To adapt education to the needs of the child, its talents and abilities
- To incorporate soft skills into educational programs
- To create teaching situations where pupils learn from each other within the framework of curricula
- To allow adaptation of the curriculum at the level of individual classes or teachers.
- To liberalize the market with teaching books and retain the choice of textbooks, teaching materials and teaching aids for schools
Current debates in 2021:
- The expected impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the education system and the future of the youth, especially on the youth who could not take part in distance learning,
- The Slovak Recovery plan for the education system,
- Updates of the strategies on youth, on inclusive and global education and on lifelong learning,
- Amendment of the School law and the Law on pedagogical and professional school staff.