On this page
On this page
While there is not any strategy document on creativity and culture for young people in Turkey, the National Youth and Sports Policy Document (Ulusal Gençlik ve Spor Politikası Belgesi) in which policy measures and goals are determined under the policy area title “Culture and Art” is regarded as the fundamental strategy document for the implementation, monitoring and coordination of culture, art and creativity policies aimed at young people.
The policy measures in the area of culture and art policies aimed at young people are for people between 14-29 years of age.
The general framework of the culture and art policy as defined in the National Youth and Sports Policy Document (Ulusal Gençlik ve Spor Politikası Belgesi) was shaped by the idea that young people should gain an insight into culture and art not only on the basis of what is popular, but also focusing on their own past and national culture, know their cultural values, manners and customs, and traditional branches of art, and that generations that will embrace their country, history and thus future should be raised. The purpose is to further enhance the developments in many areas such as the number of museum visitors, number of people using libraries, circulation of newspapers and magazines, number of theater plays and audience, Turkish movies released and box office figures. Furthermore, a general attitude has been adopted to provide more young people with the opportunity to access cultural and artistic activities and pursuits within the policy area of Culture and Art and to enhance the efforts for discovering talented young people and raising individuals with the sensitivity of an artist.
The policies and goals set within the scope of the policy area of Culture and Art are as follows:
Policy: Better promotion of Turkish history and cultural heritage to young people.
- Engaging in common efforts with stakeholder organizations to promote the places that are of historical and cultural importance, areas contained in the UNESCO World Heritage List, historical artifacts, architectural works, museums and important persons in Turkish history to our young people.
- Promoting national and moral values to young people more effectively.
- Encouraging the correct use of the Turkish language and making efforts to prevent the damage to Turkish by the popular culture rising with the widespread use of developing technology and Internet.
- Contributing to the young people’s knowledge and embracing of historical and cultural values by means of poems, epics and other literary works.
- Engaging in efforts for young people to follow and perform traditional arts.
- Supporting production of TV series, movies and cartoons that may be effective in passing down the historical and cultural heritage.
- Enabling young people to meet the living witnesses of history and culture.
Stakeholders: Ministry of Culture and Tourism, Ministry of Youth and Sports, Ministry of Family and Social Policies, Ministry of National Education, Atatürk Research Center, Turkish Radio and Television Corporation, Radio and Television Supreme Council, Turkish Language Association, Universities, Local Administrations, Media Organizations, Non-governmental Organizations
Policy: Enhancement of young people’s involvement in artistic activities.
- Increasing the interest of young people in, and their opportunities to access, artistic activities, pursuits and cultural activities.
- Identifying young people that are talented and interested in art at an early age and enabling their development.
- Preventing misinformation on artistic activities and eliminating the gaps in promotion of such activities.
- Ensuring that young people get acquainted with and are guided into art.
- Supporting non-governmental organizations engaged in cultural and artistic activities and cooperating with them for activities aimed at young people.
- Supporting young prospective artists by means of scholarship and sustainable projects.
Stakeholders: Ministry of Culture and Tourism, Ministry of Youth and Sports, Ministry of Family and Social Policies, Ministry of National Education, Universities, Local Administrations, Media Organizations, Non-governmental Organizations
Policy: Increasing the quantity and quality of cultural and artistic activities aimed at young people.
- Increasing the number of exhibitions, shows and courses concerning the branches of modern art. Organizing events in which modern arts are blended with traditional arts.
- Taking art out of buildings to streets and ensuring that young people are more engaged in artistic activities in their daily lives.
- Increasing the funds allocated to cultural and artistic activities for young people.
- Increasing the number of places that can be used for cultural and artistic activities.
Stakeholders: Ministry of Culture and Tourism, Ministry of Youth and Sports, Ministry of National Education, Universities, Local Administrations, Non-governmental Organizations
The public authority responsible for the implementation of the policy measures in the policy area Culture and Art is the Ministry of Youth and Sports. Furthermore, stakeholders have been determined for each policy measure in the policy area Culture and Art.
The National Youth and Sports Policy is in the process of revision, and thus the policy area Culture and Art is also being revised. As in the other policy areas in the Document under revision, performance criteria are identified in the policy area Culture and Art as well and an effective monitoring and evaluation mechanism is being established.