9.4 Raising awareness about global issues
On this page
On this page
In accordance with the School and Preschool Education Act (Закона за училищното и предучилищното образованиe), school and school education is aimed inter alia at ensuring:
- Obtaining competences necessary for successful personal and professional realisation and active civil life in modern communities;
- Obtaining competences to apply the sustainable development principles;
- Obtaining competences to understand and apply the principles of democracy and constitutional state, of human rights and freedoms, of active and responsible civil participation;
- Establishing tolerance and respect to ethnical, cultural, language and religious identity of every citizen;
- Establishing tolerance and respect to the rights of children, students and people with disabilities;
- Obtaining competences to understand global processes, trends and their interrelations.
In the system of formal education, students in the upper secondary level have a civic education course aimed at preparing the young people for social realisation through knowledge, understanding and protection of human rights and freedoms in line with the laws of the democratic society. The competence fields covered by this course are: citizens, policy and democracy, civil rights and responsibilities, identities and diversities in society, Bulgaria, the world and global issues, etc. Environment protection, health and wellbeing are covered by the courses Chemistry and Environment Protection and Biology and Health Education, respectively.
Non-formal and informal learning opportunities on global issues are provided under different projects funded by the Ministry of Youth and Sports within the frameworks of the national youth programs in areas like: non-formal learning for acquiring skills and key competences, environment protection, promotion of healthy lifestyle, tolerance and European belonging, cyber bullying and online abuse, non-dissemination of disinformation and fake news, solidarity and empathy among young people.
Support to educators is provided within the National Program Motivated Teachers and Qualification (Национална програма „Мотивирани учители и квалификация“) implemented by the Ministry of Education and Science in pursuance of the Strategic Framework for Development of Education, Training and Learning in the Republic of Bulgaria (2021 – 2030) for the purposes to increase the motivation for practicing teacher’s profession.
Different resource websites exist to provide support to educators in terms of education on global issues:
- National E-library of teachers (Национална електронна библиотека на учителите) supported by the Ministry of Education and Science;
- National Pedagogic Network (Национална педагогическа мрежа) supported by the National Center for Information and Documents to the Ministry of Education and Science;
- Let’s Learn! (Да научим!).
In 2018, the information centres within the system of the Ministry of Environment and Water (33) significantly increased their activity. All of them organise information and educational initiatives for increasing environmental mind and culture of different social groups, publish information materials and carry out training programs in partnership with institutions and nongovernmental organisations in different regions. During the year, they have organised 11 national and 14 regional information and educational programs for improvement of environmental mind and culture of young people and various initiatives in partnership with institutions, business and nongovernmental organisations in different regions.
In 2022, the Ministry of Education and Environment launched the implementation of 180 initiatives under the Youth for Environment Program (Младежи за околна среда) administered by the ministry. The activities comprise:
- Young people teaching adults how to reduce their carbon footprint;
- Mounting of composting installations in schoolyards;
- Training visits for young people to waste water treatment plans, separating installations and domestic waste depots;
- Specialised training for young researchers on new models and technologies for climate change monitoring;
- Cleaning of riverbanks, etc.
UNICEF Bulgaria, in partnership with the Ministry of Education and Science implements the global initiative “The World’s Largest Lesson” in Bulgaria aimed to make children and young people familiar with the Sustainable Development Goals
The Bulgarian Centre of Training Firms to the Ministry of Education and Science organises annual international practice enterprises trade fair Young Entrepreneur to support young entrepreneurs. It further administers the so called practice enterprise/ training company/ training firm as an innovative environment for training in entrepreneurship and business administration.
Public authorities responsible for the dissemination of information on global issues to young people are as follows:
- The Ministry of Youth and Sports disseminates information for projects aimed at young people in general, including on global issues and awareness raising;
- The Ministry of Education and Science disseminates information for educational opportunities and projects;
- The Ministry of Environment and Water disseminates information on issues related to environment protection, biodiversity preservation, climate change, etc.
- The Ministry of Economy and Industry disseminates information about entrepreneurship related projects;
- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs provides information about global education, human rights, etc.
Some key initiatives are being implemented at governmental level to promote global topics among the society, with special focus on young people:
- National Youth Strategy (2021-2030) (Национална стратегия за младежта (2021-2030) implemented by the Ministry of Youth and Sports
- National Youth Program (2021-2025) (Национална програма за младежта (2021-2025) administered by the Ministry of Youth and Sports
- National Program for Youth Activities under article 10а of the Gambling Act (2022) (Национална програма за изпълнение на младежки дейности по чл. 10а от Закона за хазарта (2022) administered by the Ministry of Youth and Sports
- National Development Program BULGARIA 2030 implemented by the government in general
- Strategic Framework for Development of Education, Training and Learning in the Republic of Bulgaria (2021 – 2030) (Стратегическа рамка за развитие на образованието, обучението и ученето в Република България (2021-2030) implemented by the Ministry of Education and Science
- National Strategy for Reducing Poverty and Promotion of Social Inclusion 2030 (Национална стратегия за намаляване на бедността и насърчаване на социалното включване 2030) implemented by the Ministry of Labour and Social Policy
- Employment Strategy of the Republic of Bulgaria (2021 – 2030) (Стратегия по заетостта на Република България (2021-2030) implemented by the Ministry of Labour and Social Policy
- National Strategy for Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises (2021-2027) (Национална стратегия за малки и средни предприятия в България 2021-2027) implemented by the Ministry of Economy and Industry
- Youth for Environment Programme (Младежи за околна среда) implemented by the Ministry of Environment and Water
- Bulgarian UN Delegate Program (програма „Български младежки делегат към ООН) implemented by the United Nations Association of Bulgaria with the support of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.