2.8 Raising awareness about youth volunteering opportunities
On this page
On this page
There is a number of entities which offer accessible information regarding volunteering opportunities in Spain. They are mainly the Spanish Agency of International Development Cooperation (Agencia Española de Cooperación Internacional para el Desarrollo), the European Commission Representation in Spain (Representación en España de la Comisión Europea), or the Spanish Youth Institute (INJUVE). There are also Foundations which offer information such as the Fundación Vicente Ferrer, complete information can be found at a national level in the website of Plataforma de Voluntariado or of the Asociación Española de Fundaciones and other entities such as Red Cross (Cruz Roja) or Unicef which already offer specific information on privately run volunteering.
Besides, many web platforms offer volunteers the possibility of getting close to the volunteering offers. They may also approach the Spanish or regional volunteering platforms, as well as volunteering networks within the Universities.
With regard to the Autonomous Regions, a number of volunteering official platforms are listed below:
- Infoyouth Platform of the Madrid Autonomous Region (Plataforma Inforjoven de laComunidad de Madrid).
- Volunteer Portal of the Madrid Autonomous Region (Portal de Voluntariado de laComunidad de Madrid).
- Volunteer Platforms of the Madrid Autonomous Region (Plataformas de Voluntariado de laComunidad de Madrid).
- Volunteer Portal of the Murcia Autonomous Region (Portal de Voluntariado de Murcia).
- Volunteer Portal of the Andalucia Autonomous Region (Portal de Voluntariado de Andalucía).
- Andalusian Platform of Volunteering (Plataforma Andaluza del Voluntariado).
- Volunteering Platform of the Aragon Autonomous Region (Plataforma De Voluntariado DeAragón).
- Social Volunteering Platform of the Valencia Autonomous Region (Plataforma DeVoluntariat Social de la Comunitat Valenciana).
- Volunteer Platform of the Extremadura Autonomous Region (Plataforma Del VoluntariadoDe Extremadura).
- Volunteering Platform of the Baleary Islands Autonomous Region (Plataforma DelVoluntariat De Les Illes Balears).
- The Federation Platform of the Volunteer Entities of the Canary Islands (FederaciónPlataforma de Entidades de Voluntariado de Canarias).
In the years 2022 and 2023, various activities have been carried out to promote volunteering.
- The 21st edition of the University of Youth and Development was held at CEULAJ (Euro-Latin Youth Centre) from 11 to 18 September. This edition focused on "Peace, justice and strong institutions". Some of its objectives were to promote the development of youth work and participation, to encourage youth participation in decision-making and policy-making, to promote youth cooperation and global youth work.
- During 2023, the Youth Institute organised several volunteering camps in different autonomous communities, for example in Castilla y Leon. The aim of these camps is to provide an environment in which they can highlight and promote certain values such as coexistence, tolerance, solidarity, participation and interculturality among young people.
- After multiple working meetings since 2015, in october 2018, an agreement between El Instituto de la Juventud (Injuve) , The Don Bosco Confederation, the Didania Federation and ASDE Scouts Spain was officially adopted and has lay the groundwork for the implementation of the programme Reconoce. This programme aims at officially crediting capacities acquired from volunteering Work to improve employment opportunities for the youth.
- In the news section of web page of the INJUVE’s website several dissemination events are announced in the news sections, including, the information day European Solidarity Corps 2021-2027 which took place on 13 January 2022.
There are other initiatives at an autonomic and local level which may look at programmes and activities of national scope, for instance, the Fundación Esplai, as well as many others. That foundation created in the year 2000 the program Voluntariado.net, that is ongoing. With the aim to give information, visibility, offering advice and resources to the volunteer.
At “university volunteering” level of Spanish universities, apart from the information placed in each one of the university websites, the links and news offered in the section “volunteering” of the university support system Universia website is very useful.