3. Employment & Entrepreneurship
The main agent in the design and implementation of youth employment and entrepreneurship policies is the Ministry of Labour and Social Economy, the highest public authority in charge of coordinating relevant actors and responsible for the establishment and control of the Youth Guarantee System (Sistema de Garantía Juvenil). At sub-national level, and taking into account their main role in youth policy, the Autonomous Regions take a fundamental role in the projection, definition, implementation and management of public action concerning youth employment and entrepreneurship. Both in the administration and management of actions related to youth employment and entrepreneurship, and in the implementation of the Youth Guarantee System, the Autonomous Regions shall involve the competent departments related to Employment, Education, Social Affairs and Youth.
In the first semester of 2020, the Spanish Government presented the National Reform Plan 2021 (Programa Nacional de Reformas 2021) aiming at promoting employement. The document presents the renewal of the Strategy for Emplyement Activation 2021-2024 (estrategia para la activación del Empleo 2021-2024).
This strategy was published the 7th of December of 2021 and it is mainly funded by the Spanish Government budget, but it also has funds from the vocational training for employment contribution; and the national unemployment contribution.
The specific objectives of the Spanish Active Employment Support Strategy 2021-2024 are the following:
- Improve the employability and labor market insertion of unemployed and employed people with greater difficulties in accessing or remaining in the labor market.
- Promote equal opportunities in access to employment and non-discrimination in the labor market.
- Promote quality employment and sustainable entrepreneurship.
- Strengthen territorial and social cohesion through employment.
- To improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the National Employment System.
The Council of Ministers, at its meeting of June 8, 2021, adopted an Agreement approving the Youth Guarantee Plus 2021-2027 Plan for decent work for young people (Plan Garantía Juvenil Plus 2021-2027 de trabajo digno para las personas jóvenes)
The main objectives are:
- To increase the accessibility of the plan and to grant greater dissemination of the Plan among inactive, low-skilled and more vulnerable young people.
- To advance in the improvement and deepening of inter-institutional coordination, in order to facilitate the exchange of information and the coordination of efforts among the different stakeholders at the state, regional and local levels.
- Consolidate the relationship with the private sector to foster the creation of quality and stable employment.
- To improve the employability and training of young people, as well as to seek new sectors that offer young people stable and quality employment opportunities.