The main debates in relation to youth and global issues verse about climate change. In relation to this matter, in the framework of the Executive Assembly 2017 of the Youth Council of Spain has presented in 2017 the resolution "Youth for the Climate" (Resolución "Juventud por el Clima”), a text that request the Spanish Government to take more measures in the fight against climate change and to pass laws on energy transition and climate change. With this resolution, the Youth Council of Spain, as a representative of different Spanish youth associations, aims to be one of the relevant players in the fight against climate change in the country and an engine of influence to promote environmental protection policies in the young population.
The main points of discussion presented in the resolution include:
- Establishment of a zeroemissions target for 2050; far more ambitious than the goal established by the European Union
- Implementation of an energy transition plan to reduce the energy dependence of the exterior and to contemplate the objective of reaching a 100% renewable horizon.
- Boost a change of production model that affects relevant sectors in the field of emissions: energy, transport, forests and biodiversity, industry and commerce, agriculture and livestock, waste and urban planning.
- Promotion of responsible consumption and proximity trade as an instrument to counteract the ecological footprint.
- Boost of ecological agriculture and extensive cattle ranching to promote rural development.
The 4th edition of the Global Goals Jam, an international initiative promoted by the United Nations and the Digital Society School, was held on 18 and 19 September 2020. The call was addressed to young people between 18 and 30 years old from all over Spain to find concrete solutions to the challenges posed by the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).