9.6 Intercontinental youth work and development cooperation
On this page
On this page
Intercontinental youth work cooperation
Hungary Helps programme
The aims of the programme are
- to assist people and communities living in areas of need, persecution or humanitarian catastrophe,
- to support the local population to stay, and
- to assist projects that are about to protect the freedom of religion, with particular reference to persecuted Christian and other religious minorities.
The programme may be supported, inter alia, by volunteering. In accordance with the applicable law, the program thus provides opportunities for the young generation to develop their attitudes, to strengthen the role of volunteering and to develop global responsibility. [Act CXX of 2018 on the Hungary Helps Programme (2018. évi CXX. törvény a Hungary Helps Programról)]
Development cooperation activities
Waclaw Felczak Foundation
The mission of the Wacław Felczak Foundation is primarily to enhance Hungarian-Polish friendship and cooperation and to preserve the cultural heritage. It also aims to involve young people into activities and programmes that can promote and strengthen the contacts between Hungarian and Polish youth and professionals. [About the Foundation (Az alapítványról)]
The foundation is funded by the Government. In the 2023 budget about EUR 1 million (HUF 377 million) is dedicated to the foundation. There are various applications available in 2023, such as:
- support for Hungarian schools to organise class trips to Poland [available support amount is about EUR 5 000 (HUF 2 million)] ('Lengyelországi osztálykirándulások támogatása');
- support for cultural and artistic cooperation [available support amount is about EUR 3 750 (HUF 1.5 million)] ('Kulturális és művészeti együttműködés támogatására');
- support for programmes in the field of social topics, environment protection, art projects, cultural heritage preservation and volunteering [available support amount is about EUR 3 750 (HUF 1.5 million)] ('Gyermekeknek és fiataloknak szóló magyar–lengyel programok támogatására').
Kőrösi-Csoma Sándor programme
The aims of the programme are to reach out to the Hungarians of the diaspora; to provide support for organising the community and cultural life in these areas and to develop and maintain their Hungarian language skills with the offering scholarship programme. ('A Kőrösi Csoma Sándor Program')
From the start of the programme (2016) 641 young people participated in the programme. In 2022, 62 young people were able to travel to 10 countries ('Ösztöndíjasaink'). The Prime Minister's Office (Miniszterelnökség) provides the fund for the programme and in 2023 the winners could apply for a one-time funding of about gross EUR 750 (HUF 300 000) for the preparation and the closing of the programme (e.g. for the time of the education) and about gross EUR 1 500 per month (HUF 600 000) for the time spent abroad ('Kőrösi Csoma Sándor Program pályázat', 2023).