6.9 Awareness-raising about non-formal and informal learning and quality youth work
On this page
On this page
The website of the legal successor of the New Generation Centre (Új Nemzedék Központ), the Elisabeth Youth Fund (Erzsébet Ifjúsági Alap), provides information about youth work, on the concept and context of the youth work in Hungary, there are publications, good practices, news on professional events.
The Government calls for attention and planning to work on non-formal and informal learning, support and development of workplace learning in the 'Framework Strategy for Lifelong Learning Policy for the period of 2014-2020' (kormány 'Az egész életen át tartó tanulás szakpolitikájának keretstratégiája a 2014-2020 közötti időszakra').
Within this, three main objectives are defined:
- development of non-formal and informal learning through the cultural institution system,
- developing e-learning and distance education,
- supporting and developing workplace learning.
The specific target groups identified:
- developing the chance to access to learning possibilities of disadvantaged people (including the integration of disadvantaged children),
- improving the employability of those who are disadvantaged on the labour market, for example, Roma and changed working ability people,
- improving the chance of those young people who are early school leavers, and they are not in the education system and not at the labour market (NEET),
- promoting non-formal, informal learning and e-learning, promoting learning and training at work.
The Government justifies the importance of the strategy by the fact, that participation in lifelong learning in Hungary is low in international comparison. This means that access to non-formal learning is limited, and also the proportion of those who participate in it.
The Government of Hungary draws attention to the importance of non-formal and informal learning by means of application programs, for example, the EFOP tender mentioned in chapter 6.7 Skills for innovation called 'Informal and non-formal learning opportunities in school education'.
In addition, two other tenders were announced in 2017 for the same purpose: one for 'Cultural Institutions for Effectiveness of School Education' (VEKOP-7.3.4-17 'Kulturális intézmények a köznevelés eredményességéért') and with 'The Strengthening of the Mother Language Competence Developer Role of Folk Tales in Informal and Non-formal Learning' (EFOP-3.3.4-17 A népmese anyanyelvi kompetenciafejlesztő szerepének erősítése az informális és non-formális tanulásban).